How To Choose a Pill Organiser
Whether you are choosing a pill dispenser for yourself or for a loved one, it is crucial that you choose an organiser that addresses the specific functional needs and limitations of the user.
However, with so many different options on the market, from an automatic pill dispenser, to a pill dispenser with alarm, to a medication reminder watch, it can be difficult to know how to pick the right one.
Fortunately, within the below guide, you will find out everything you need to know to help you find the perfect medication organiser.
What are your needs?
To pick the perfect medication dispenser, you first need to determine the needs of the user. You can do this by asking the below questions:
- How often do the pills need to be taken?
- Is the quantity of medication needed the same for each dose or does it vary?
- Is a reminder needed?
- Is a lock needed?
- How many medication schedules need to be managed?
What are your limitations?
Equally as important as the needs of the user, you also need to determine their personal limitations. You can establish this by asking the below questions:
- Do they have poor manual dexterity?
- Do they have visual or hearing limitations?
- Do they have difficulty remembering when to take pills?
What are the different types of pill box organisers?
Automatic pill dispenser
With an automatic pill dispenser, you can organise and automate the medication dispensing process, providing both ease of use and flexibility in terms of medication schedules.
Other main benefits of using an automatic pill dispenser include:
- Specifically designed with Alzheimer’s and dementia patients in mind
- Comes with a locking mechanism to keep pills safe
- Provides audio and visual alarms
- Offers large compartments for multiple medications
Pill box organiser
A pill box organiser is ideal for those who struggle to manage their medications but do not need their medication to be locked away.
The main advantages of pill boxes are:
- Easy to use
- Highly portable
- Ideal for simple schedules where only one or a few pills are needed at a time
Pill boxes with alarms
If you or your loved one sometimes forget to take your medication, then a pill dispenser with alarm may be the best choice for you.
The benefits of this type of pill box can include:
- Visual, audio, and vibrating alarms
- Easy to use
You can also find pill boxes with alarms that are specifically designed for people with Parkinson’s, offering an easy to open magnetic catch for those with weak or shaky hands.
Pill reminders and watches
Whether you forget to take your medication altogether or sometimes you take too much, a pill reminder such as a vibrating alarm watch can help improve medication adherence significantly.
Other benefits of pill reminders can include:
- Silent alarms for enhanced discretion
- Can be used to remind you about other things such as staying hydrated
- Customisable – you can program multiple medication reminders per day
The right pill organiser has the ability to transform your life, providing reassurance, convenience and safety when it comes to you or your loved one’s crucial medication.
If you need any more help picking the perfect pill dispenser or medication reminder, please do not hesitate to get in touch here